Bereavement.

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 21 09:36

Bereavement.

Hi guys, struggling through the day with sciatica but that is another subject.

I got informed by my cousin that my Aunt had passed last week and the funeral had been set at May 30th. That is during the first week of our 2 week half term break. I had already booked a short trip away and was due to return on the 28th but due to the late flight I also opted to take the 29th off and come in for the remaining 2 days. I have no-one booked in that week so my thought was to change things round and come in the 29th and 31st so enabling me to go to the funeral and not imposing on my holidays which have already been mapped out for the year.

When I proposed this change to my wife (an ex teacher) her view is that "every one is entitled to time of for a funeral". As school is closed to everybody it would not have an impact but my question is "how far removed are you allowed time off for a relative and how best to approach the head "?
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 21 09:54

Re: Bereavement.

A funeral can't be helped, it's not like springing a surprise holiday on someone!

Just be honest with the head, you're probably best placed to to know how approachable and understanding they are. At the end of the day, if nothing has been booked in contractor wise, then shouldn't cause too much of a problem.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 21 09:57

it should be in your schools staff handbook (if one exists) or possibly a special leave policy

ours states
Death of a near relative, Spouse or Partner - 3 days paid
funeral of a near relative, Spouse, Partner - 1 day paid
Funeral of other relative, friend, colleague - 1 day unpaid

this is just an example, i'm not looking to debate the rights or wrongs of the times gives
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2024 21 18:45

Eddy wrote: 21st May 2024 at 9:57am
this is just an example, i'm not looking to debate the rights or wrongs of the times gives
And then add time off for stress.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 22 11:23

Taz wrote: 21st May 2024 at 9:54am Just be honest with the head, you're probably best placed to to know how approachable and understanding they are.
I agree.

When my parents passed away (not at the same time) my school was very accommodating with time off with pay. Both before the event with hospital visits and after with time off for arranging and finally the funeral. However, maybe with distant relatives they may not have been so accommodating.

In your case I would probably just book a day off for personal or emergency circumstances. It shouldn't cause a problem for the school as you have stated there is nothing planned for that day.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 22 13:32

Just to update.

I approached the head, explained that it was my original intention to have the 29th off as my return flight was in the late hours but I would now be willing to change the pre-booked day to the 30th in order to attend the funeral. I reassured him that there were no contractors booked in and I had indicated to staff that I would be only open the second week of the half term so therefore nobody would have to change any plans. With all the information in front of them they simply asked me to forward the necessary form to them and they would approve.

It may have been a different answer if it was in term time but that is something I hope I never get to find out.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off