Painting and decorating

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider, jay

twernip
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 09:44

Painting and decorating

Good morning everyone,

My school is under East Sussex County Council's jurisdiction, and we are looking for a reliable business to do some painting work in our school hall over the summer. The question is, who to ask?! Business Manager would like quotes from several companies and she would rather go with someone that's already been "Caretaker Approved", so to speak!

So, ladies and gents, any recommendations?
Stercus accidit.
Just-Google-It
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 09:58

Re: Painting and decorating

We are based in Hertfordshire and are looking for the same thing, there doesn't seem to be many school recommended company's, so what I am doing is reaching out to local commercial painter decorators and going from there.
Good Luck on your search.
Zoltar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 12:58

My previous school went down this route. It cost just over £1500 per room and that was with the school supplying the paint [JawDropped.png]
To think how much money we could have earned over the years at that price [Cry.png]

I'd be interested in what companies you all recommend though
Sitesupervisor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 13:21

Get your school office to send a letter to parents asking if ANYONE`S DAD OR MUM is a painter, We do it all the time and sometimes even get it for free, which makes the risks assessment and method statement a little harder. We now have quite a good list of joiners, painters,plasters, ect.Parent then feel like it's their school when they help.

But worth it [Like.png] .
Instagram keithcaretaker
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 14:41

The problem with asking parents etc is you often end up with smaller firms who don't meet the requirements (insurance etc) for work in schools. Although they are often more expensive, it is sometimes easier to go with someone off of the ESCC approved contractor list, they will have already done all of the appropriate checks then.
Elephantpaul63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 15:56

I'm on the south coast we have used ,AVCO Maintenance, BEM Builders & Decorators, Colours. Most of the time AVCO get the work as they normally are reasonable quote price and iv never had any problems. We had them in to do our main hall, and 6 classrooms and it was all done with a week to go in the 6 weeks holiday.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2024 05 17:08

You can ask your properties manager, if you don't know who they are then use the help desk. You will find an approved company but expect to pay a fortune. Insurance needs to be £5million because you can top it up. Depends where in East Sussex you are as to who to suggest.
Hutch1066
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 02 17:38

Im Also in East Sussex and i found Westoaks builders great to work with
CanYouJust
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 05 10:24

Bagnalls are nationwide https://www.bagnalls.co.uk/regions/.

We used them for repainting our sports hall. Around 3/4 the price of other firms we got quotes from and they did an excellent job. I got a quote for doing the whole school, worked out around £900 per classroom which isn't too shabby.
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2024 05 10:41

Hi
I’m in the north west.
I wish I had this option to get someone in. I’m asked to paint everything myself even the hall if and when it needs completing