Union

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Sweep68
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 09:47

Union

Hi, I`m a premises manager for an infant & nursery school & not a member of a union, is it worth joining one & if so can anyone advise on what would be the best one to join?
Thanks.
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 09:53

Re: Union

If you need them for any reason just join on the day. Im a member of the GMB but never in 16 years used them so paid £££££s in subs.
Is it that TIME already
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 10:13

You usually can't join on the day they will not help with any issues known about for one month after joining.
It is to stop people doing exactly this.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 10:14

Yes! Definitely join a union.
When you need them, you really need them.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 11:30

PAUL.C wrote: 29th Sep 2022 at 9:53am If you need them for any reason just join on the day. Im a member of the GMB but never in 16 years used them so paid £££££s in subs.
Some unions will have a so-called compliance period to prevent people from signing up when they have a problem & then dropping out right after. Other unions will also not take on cases retrospectively. When I was a union rep, I turned a blind eye to all this. But in a school environment, there are a lot of situations where you could need representation. And you do not always see those situations coming. I would suggest that you talk to colleagues on the support staff side & see what union they are mostly in. It is likely that that would be the best one to join in your area.
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2022 29 17:42

go for it, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. been in mine for almost 30 years, now Unite, helped me out very well on two occasions
Sweep68
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 03 17:59

Thanks for the replies, although I don`t actually need one I am going to follow the advice & join one. Been speaking to other premises staff in our trust & several are in the same union & have had help in the past! [Thumb_up.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2022 03 18:22

Sweep68 wrote: 3rd Oct 2022 at 5:59pm Thanks for the replies, although I don`t actually need one I am going to follow the advice & join one. Been speaking to other premises staff in our trust & several are in the same union & have had help in the past! [Thumb_up.png]
Good call.. [Thumb_up.png]