Which Billy Goat

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 21 09:19

Which Billy Goat

Morning all, haven't posted much recently as I started at a new school in September, and am in the process of moving houses as well (once our sale goes through!!)

Anyway my new school is great, people are lovely, but the bain of my life at the minute is leaves. Lots of leaves. We're surrounded by trees and obviously as a result, their contents go everywhere.

Now onto a topic which comes up every now and then, the billy goat. I was told that if there is something that will make my life easier, then research it and they'll have a look to see if we can get whatever it is I come across.

Cost wise I have no idea if they have a number in mind yet, but to be fair it does seem that If I can warrant it, and it's of a benefit to the school, then there's a chance of it happening. Possibly not straight away, but at some point at least.

Now on average I can spend about 30 minutes a day blowing leaves away from the main pathways, doors etc, and clearing them from the muga. With this in mind is there a certain spec I should be looking at over the others, or does the "cheaper" model tick most boxes anyway? Also if you know of a supplier that is competitive, any recommendations are also very welcome.

[Like.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 21 09:53

Re: Which Billy Goat

ON my wish list too (only been trying for 3 years). I had one- only a small one at my previous school and i am not exaggeratting when i say it cut the job down by half and some. Now dont get me wrong, they do have limitations- they are less great with wet leaves, struggle on grassy areas but by picking up the majority of leaves saves you so much time, blowing into a pile then picking up. Further more, andthis is the clincher- it takes away alot of back ache and contact bending and lifting.

good luck with this hope you get one
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2023 21 10:49

They have improved them a lot in recent years. I had a similar one to the 3rd last one on this page, but in my day they didn't have the silencer to make them quiet. I had to use ear defenders as mine was terribly noisy. https://www.billygoat.com/eu/en_gb/prod ... cuums.html

They are a great bit of kit, the true Billy-goat vacs are very reliable and they also suck up discarded drinks cans and plastic cartons. Emptying the bag can be a bit of a challenge if it is heavy.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 24 15:25

I have the LB series here and our site is not very large, but we do have a lot of trees for a Portsmouth school. It picks up litter and leaves like nobodys business and if you keep it serviced every year like I do, it will last years. I can't recommend them enough. If you are a bigger school then you will need the bigger more gutsier version which will pick up twice as much as mine. Well worth it, free's your time up for better jobs.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. [Success.png]
peterg398
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 25 09:02

I found a old Billy goat hidden away in storage container got it working best thing I've had makes life so much easier.!
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 25 10:26

I could only dream of a Billy Goat (that sounds a bit weird) … [Blush.png] [Big grin.png]

Sadly, my budgets would not extend that far.

The local academy had a Billy Goat, they wouldn’t let me borrow it but let me have a go, they are really effective with leaf clearance although as mentioned above struggle with wet leaves.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 25 11:31

I dream of the budget and space to store a billygoat. My ‘billygoat’ is a pair of them big hand scoops, a garden leaf rake and a 1ton rubble sack sat on a pallet on a trolley 😒