The best thing....

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

MajorD
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 10:15

The best thing....

Hi all

We've all probably had a moan about teacher, students, contractors etc but what is the thing that you like the best about working in a school?

For me I think it's because most days are different and also having no one in during the holidays.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 14:35

Re: The best thing....

I do like the varied day to day nature of the job, but i also just like the school setting. i always knew i wanted to work in a school (originally wanted to be a history teacher) and I got my history degree but wanted to take time away from study before going back to do my PGCE. I was burnt out with all of the study and thought there must be more out there than simply studying so i found an apprentiship in shop fitting and exhibitions. The money was really good, but it was the appeal of the job being more manual labour and far removed from the books. I still learnt there though dipping into all the trades (chippying/painting/electrics/ floor laying/ cartpet fitting). Anyhow, a redundancy here, a few children and a wife there and before i know it i got a job combining school life with the manual work which i love.... the rest they say is history (see what i did there) [Cool.png]
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 14:36

Variety, some good people to talk to, team work (sometimes) and the year is broken up by regular term holidays.

There is nothing better to be alone music on loud painting away with no one to bother you.

Worst bit, probably working as a lone unit with no one that can understand what you have to deal with (that is where the forum excels).
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 15:26

Same as Vera but the painting times are few and far between. So the best thing for me is being left alone to get on with things.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 15:41

I would say it's the perfect blend of working alone and being left to get on with things, but also meeting and speaking with lots of different people too. I don't think I could stand being in an office with the same people all day every day, but would get down working completely on my own. This job has a good blend of the two.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 15:47

Sounds daft really but I always enjoyed seeing the smiling faces of the children every morning.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 15:56

Keyolder wrote: 23rd May 2024 at 3:47pm Sounds daft really but I always enjoyed seeing the smiling faces of the children every morning.
That sounds like selective memory [Big grin.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 18:30

MajorD wrote: 23rd May 2024 at 10:15am Hi all

We've all probably had a moan about teacher, students, contractors etc but what is the thing that you like the best about working in a school?

For me I think it's because most days are different and also having no one in during the holidays.
No one in during the holidays? Wow! You are certainly lucky. Teachers & contractors coming in were the bane of my life during holiday cleans.
NC1
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 23 18:53

Hi y'all

Next week will be my first half term in on my own...got a painting task lined up

I'm looking forward to it - they have even bought me a brand spanking new paint spraying machine!...it's all down to preparation now [Big grin.png]
stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 24 08:52

I was only going to do this for six months whilst I sorted out what I wanted to do...
I lucked out with an SEN school. The kids are amazing, you get such a sense of worth making a difference... Then also got given some main stream.. Now work with some Alternative education provisions which are interesting as well.
Keeping the students safe, keeping the staff safe, improving areas...
Ok, sometimes the repetitive fixing of door handles and unblocking of toilets can be slightly irksome, but if you are having a bad day then talk to a kid.
They soon remind you why you are there..

Yes, the variety is great as well.. (That nice quiet time every so often when Teachers go away [Big grin.png] )
I am very lucky.