Decorating

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 14:29

Decorating

The BM has had a good idea (always worrying) based on a downloaded spreadsheet from The Key, a new schedule for decorating.
Just wondering what frequency of redecoration you have in place for your buildings. The new one I have been sent seems to split it into 1, 2, and 5 years for different areas.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 14:59

Re: Decorating

Our school is a work in progress and decoration is done as and when needed. I try to prioritise depending on work load. Originally I started at classroom 1 but now access them individually. We have just had a condition report of the building so I am working my way through that and concentrating on the areas highlighted with it. For the bigger areas the BM has got a contractor in.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 15:31

As and when here too.
I would like to think it could be done to a rota but someone will have a bright idea and the planning will go out the window.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 15:50

We have an "ideal" schedule.
Common areas 2 yearly, classrooms 5 yearly and offices a5 years or as required.

This is of course dependent on whether the areas have held up well and if we physically have the time to get it done.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 16:21

Anyone else HATE staples?

For the average classroom it takes me 1 1/2 days of prep then 2 coats of paint as the filled in areas show through the first coat of paint.

Easifill by the bucketload and hours of picking out the tiny bits of staple stuck in the wall just waiting to tear your sandpaper, hand or both open.

[Angry.png] [Angry.png] [Angry.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 16:57

Vera wrote: 5th Feb 2024 at 4:21pm Anyone else HATE staples?

For the average classroom it takes me 1 1/2 days of prep then 2 coats of paint as the filled in areas show through the first coat of paint.

Easifill by the bucketload and hours of picking out the tiny bits of staple stuck in the wall just waiting to tear your sandpaper, hand or both open.

Yep.

Head in my old school came in last summer whilst I was in the middle of painting a classroom, knowing that I'd started about 3 days before.

"Oh is it not finished yet? So and so wants to come in tomorrow to put the displays up and sort the classroom"

My response was along the lines of, best part of a day removing staples and unnecessary "old equipment/fittings" another half a day filling in all the holes and cracks that have appeared over the years, and the rest of the time waiting for the 3 coats of paint to dry before patching in bits that needed covering after that, before glossing the skirtings/frames today and tomorrow morning! Then I need to clean up afterwards!!

"Oh, we'll have to tell them to not staple into the walls in future then because it causes you more work". Yeah because they listened the last time you "told" them to not do it.

My old school was done on a worse room first basis. There was also a room that was always covered floor to ceiling in paper and display work. One year I asked if they were doing it again, even if I painted the room. The answer I got was yes because they liked their room that way. That room never did get painted...
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 17:08

Vera wrote: 5th Feb 2024 at 4:21pm Anyone else HATE staples?

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!! STAPLES!!!!! I take ages removing them but I left the more flush ones in in one classroom as a rebellious gesture after I complained about the amount of staples in the ceiling, and the time it would take to remove them all and fill the holes. It has worked in one respect, they no longer staple Santa's Grotto decorations and cloth sheets up! But it does look a bit rough.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 05 22:06

Taz wrote: 5th Feb 2024 at 4:57pm My old school was done on a worse room first basis.
Mine was, but I always felt sorry for the few teachers who did actually look after their rooms. They seemed to miss out on the refresh [Disappointment.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 00:07

Because of lack of funds, I was called upon to decorate rooms that were very much worse for wear. Half terms, Easter and any other school holiday that was available. Depending as mentioned above on the condition of the room, the amount of staples and preparation required I thought I was doing well completing a room in around 4 or 5 days. A member of the SMT asked me why it’s taking so long, thinking a room could be completed in a day as it’s only a coat of paint. Had to bite my tongue on that one…
[Gobsmacked.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 06 06:03

Regarding Staples.
I was due to decorate a particular classroom in a school break. I spoke to the teacher in question regarding the removal of staples and I hadn’t got the time to remove them as well as decorating . Teacher said that he would deal with them
( I foolishly believed him [Scared.png] ). The first day of the break I walked into the classroom and little if no effort was made to remove said staples. I walked out and chose another classroom who’s teacher did look after their room. H/T came in and I explained it to her , she was fully supportive and thanked me for making the correct decision on use of my time. When the break ended and staff returned H/T announced at a staff meeting that my time was just as valuable as everyone else’s. The H/T then put a ban on staples being used anywhere except noticeboards [Like.png].
wake me up before you gogo.